Kasur Tempa Tsering was born on 15 May 1950 in Drumpa, Gyaltse, Tibet. His family in Tibet was agro-nomads by profession. After the Chinese invasion of Tibet in 1959, he and his family escaped into exile in India.
In 1969, he completed his high school from Dr. Graham’s Homes, Kalimpong with a first division. During his schooling at Dr.Graham’s Homes, he was appointed as the School Captain and was also awarded the Best All Round Boys Prize.
He was keenly interested to pursue with a medical profession career and was even able to secure admission into a reputed medical college but unfortunately it did not materialize because of financial problem. In 1973, he completed his B.Sc. Degree from Madras Christian College, Madras University, with a Second Division.
TempaTsering was also elected as the member of the Central Executive Committee of the Tibetan Youth Congress and its advisor.
From 1973 to 2016, he worked at the Central Tibetan Administration, Dharamsala in various capacities:
- 1973-1974: At the Tibetan settlement in Bylakuppe, as interpreter and office secretary
- 1974-80: At the Department of Information and International Relations as a Lower Division Clerk and later as Deputy Secretary.
- 1981-1985: At the Private Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama as Deputy Secretary and later as the Additional Secretary, travelled extensively around the world accompanying His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
- 1986-1987: At the Department of Home as the Additional Secretary
- 1988-1990: Was deputed to Bangalore to set-up the present Chief Representative’s Office to coordinate the administration of projects of the five settlements in Karnataka State and liaise with State Government.
- 1991-1999: At the Department of Information and International Relations as its Secretary
- 2000-2001: At the Department of Home as the Home Minister (Kalon). Ministers then were nominated by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and elected by the Tibetan Parliament from among the list of the nominees.
- 2006-2011: He was appointed as the Minister of Information and International Relations (Kalon) and concurrently served as the Representative of His Holiness the Dalai Lama in Delhi.
- 2005-2016: He was appointed as the Representative of Bureau of His Holiness the Dalai Lama, New Delhi
Currently he is the Director, India and East Asia, Office of His Holiness the Dalai Lama in New Delhi.